What is an E2 Visa?

The E2 visa is one of the most popular non-immigrant Visa for those who want to invest, start a business and live in the United States. The visa application is bound to the preparation of a detailed business plan proving that your business venture has “the capacity to generate more than enough income to provide a minimal living standard for the investor and his/her family”.

If you are citizen of one of the countries with which the United States maintains a treaty of friendship, commerce, and navigation, you may qualify for a E2 visa.

The requirements for an E2 visa are extensive and seeking advice from our highly competent staff will increase your chances for an approval.

What are the requirements for the E2 Investor Visa?

  • Requisite treaty between your country and the United States
  • You must possess the nationality of the treaty country: the nationality of the business is determined by the nationality of the owner of that business.
  • Active investment (or in the process of investing): you must show that you have control over funds or assets. These funds must be committed to the investment and you are taking a risk investing in a business which will generate financial gain.
  • The business must produce some service or commodity and be a “for profit commercial enterprise”. Non-profit organizations do not qualify.
  • The investment must be a substantial amount of capital, although there is no number defining what is a substantial amount.
  • It must not be a marginal investment
  • The E2 Investor Applicant must have operational control over the enterprise.
  • You must intent to depart the United States at the end of your E2 status.

In most cases, an Treaty Investor Visa must be renewed every five years and there is no limit to how many times one can apply to renew. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may accompany the principal alien and receive a E visa. Family members may be students in the U.S and spouses may apply for work authorization.